Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Princess Silhouette Tutorial



Last year I undertook a HUGE project and redid my children's bedrooms.  This consisted of moving Logan upstairs to what was a play room and moving Audrey to Logan's old room.  Also meant that all the play room toys had to be moved; most were the girls so downstairs they went.  The end result is fabulous.  I do NOT miss having a play room.  There have been times in my children's lives when a play room was what we needed, we just don't need it anymore.  My girls each have their own rooms, but since they are right next door to each other its not too much different than before.   Part of this project was to make new artwork for their walls.  My littlest, Amber, loves princesses....especially Cinderella.  I saw an idea on pinterest where they framed silhouettes of the princesses as wall art.  I loved this idea and immediately decided that's what I was going to do for Amber's room. 

Here's what I did to make this art...

Materials

1)  Image for silhouette
2) Paint in which ever color you desire!
3) Paint brushes
4) Various size canvas
5) Lead pencils (and a sharpener!)

First step is to find the outline you want.  All that really matters here is that you have a good outline.  Details don't really matter.  For my Rapunzel I used:



Next I pasted the image into excel and I enlarged it until it was big enough to cover the size canvas I wanted. Print it off and tape the pages together (if it was large enough that it printed on multiple pages.)  

On the BACK of the image start marking the outline with the pencil.  You do not need to mark any inner details, you just need to do the entire outline.  For example, with Rapunzel you need to make sure you do in between her hair and arms, too.

After you have the entire outline traced, line the image up on the canvas and tape it in place.  Now you will use a sharp pencil and trace the outline to the canvas.  As you press down and trace, the pencil markings from the back will transfer to the canvas.  And viola!  Now you can start painting.  

I probably ended up doing 4-5 coats of paint before I was satisfied.  It takes some patience but it is well worth it. I need to work on my photography skills, because the image up top really doesn't do it justice.  

Most importantly though, little miss Amber LOVES it.

Here are links to the outlines I used, but you of course and use which ever ones you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment